There’s a definite nip in the air this morning, after a glorious weekend of warm Autumn sunshine. So warm in fact, that we should have taken our swimmers with us when we went for a stroll along Southwold beach yesterday morning! Plenty of folk were taking a dip while we hunted for treasure and relaxed with some knitting in the unexpected warmth.
Today, however, Autumn is most definitely back with us so I’m glad I finished a new cardigan just in time
This is Emelie…
A lovely knit! A really well written pattern with some delightful construction elements including fake side seams, short row sleeve caps and the best buttonholes I’ve ever made! The lace panels kept it interesting while being easy enough to memorise (eventually obviously, there are some ‘unique’ lace rows near the start of course )
The yarn is Shibui Sock in Ash, my first ‘test’ of this recent addition to our range and it’s lovely to work with. Springy, soft and not at all splitty. I chose the palest silvery grey after much deliberation. A classic neutral to take me through Autumn and into Winter. The pattern offers 3 different lengths and being ‘of long body’ I chose to knit longer than even the longest option hence ending up with 14 buttons!
These I decided should be a feature – after all if you’ve got 14 of them they’re obviously not meant to blend into the surroundings! The buttons are these Satin Polyester ones from Ray-stitch and were purchased on a lovely excursion to London last week (more details of this gorgeous shop and indeed the day-trip itself to come I can assure you!!). They are very very dark blue, matt, slightly brushed and Nancy, my shopping companion, described the colour as ‘Charcoal Blue’ which is perfect. I think they work well…
The buttonholes employed a ’3 stitch’ technique completed within 1 row which I’ve never used before but will certainly be using again They are the neatest little buttonholes I’ve ever created…
All in all I think Emelie will be getting a lot of wear this Autumn.
The pattern is Emelie by Elin Berglund
Details of my project are all ‘Ravelled’ here